"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability." -Sam Keen
So, even though school has started for many (whether virtual, in-person, part time, or any other variation as permitted by the current state of the pandemic), we're not done with summer...not even close! And while the weather is still good, let's soak up every second of these sweet summer nights.
Whether you're hittin' board meetings, or the kids are hittin' the books, one thing is certain: everyone deserves a break. In terms of activities, they don't come any more classic than a good old-fashioned movie night. Going out is great, but there's something pretty perfect about a backyard blockbuster. Suffice it to charge the ipad, laptop, stack a few blankets and pillows and voila — all the trappings of a wonderful Family Fun Night! Comfortable, casual, without inconveniencing total strangers for a mid-movie bathroom break. But hey, let's kick it up a notch with some of these tried and true recipes to satisfy your thirst and sweet tooth, as well as a few movie suggestions sure to please anyone in your party.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 10 oz fresh strawberries (hulled)
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons granulated
- 3 cup crushed ice
- Blend ingredients to desired consistency (tasting for desired sweetness, and adjusting to your liking)
- Divide beverage and garnish with strawberry
Sugar for rimming the glasses (add a little red food coloring to make it pretty in pink and on theme)
FOR PINK SUGAR-RIMMED GLASSES
- Place sugar in a ziplock back, adding a drop of red food coloring, and massaging with fingers till pink, and pour in a bowl
- Run a lemon wedge around the rim of your glass, and dip into the sugar. Repeat for all 4 glasses
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Prepare yourself because this stuff is AMAZING...apart from being majorly addicting! The hardest part about this recipe isn't the preparation, it's sharing the finished product. Always a crowd pleaser.
Gooey Chex Mix
- 1 (12 oz) box Chex cereal
- 1 (12 oz) box Golden Grahams cereal
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 2 cups sliced almonds (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- In a large bowl, mix cereal (Chex and Golden Grahams), shredded coconut, and almonds.
- In a pot or saucepan, combine and dissolved corn syrup, sugar, and butter. Boil for two minutes, stirring consistently, then removes from ehat and let sit for 2 additional minutes.
- Pour mixture over cereal and stir till properly coated throughout.
- Allow to set, cool, and ENshriganeshY!
"What shall we watch?" followed by a bit of debate, a bit of bickering, and maybe a tear or two? The choice is yours, but when looking for family fun à la Film, you really can't go wrong with any of these 5 recommendations.
Any childhood would be incomplete without this gift to modern cinema. As timeless as it is quotable, The Sandlot is one of those films you can watch "FOR-EV-ER!"
DIARY OF A WIMPY KID
There are 4 of these films, and they're unusually funny (not just for kids). The author of the books actually wrote them in the framework of children's stories appealing to adult sensibility and nostalgia, and thus, both young and old(er) can appreciate!
The ultimate underdog story. Fantastic watch for anyone, while providing a solid message about hard work, dedication, and defying odds.
Featuring an all star cast with equally attractive music, Moana offers a fun, artful journey with a powerful message to boot. Easily one of the greatest animated Disney films to come out in quite some time.
"Hey you guuuuyyyyyyssss....." No explanation necessary
And for the softest sweatshirts and pullovers, perfect for staying cozy and comfortable when the sun sets, head over to shriganesh.com!